What is Hurtigruten?
Table of Contents
Hurtigruten is a Norwegian transportation and cruise company that operates a fleet of ships along the coast of Norway, offering passengers a unique way to experience the country’s stunning natural beauty and rich cultural heritage. The company has a long history, dating back to 1893, and has played an important role in connecting Norway’s coastal communities by providing regular transportation and cargo services.
Today, Hurtigruten is known for its popular “Hurtigruten Coastal Voyage”, which takes passengers on a scenic journey along the Norwegian coast, stopping at over 30 ports and providing stunning views of the fjords, mountains, and glaciers. In addition, the company also offers expedition cruises to some of the world’s most remote and fascinating destinations, such as Antarctica, Greenland, Iceland, and Svalbard.
Hurtigruten is committed to sustainable travel and has implemented a number of measures to reduce its environmental impact, including using hybrid technology and low-emission fuel on its ships, and promoting responsible tourism practices.
Boarding your Hurtigruten Ship
Boarding a Hurtigruten ship can vary depending on your specific itinerary and departure port, but in general, here are the steps you can expect to take:
- Arrive at the designated boarding area, which is typically located near the ship.
- Check in with the Hurtigruten staff and provide any necessary documentation, such as your passport.
- Drop off any luggage that you want to be transported to your cabin.
- Proceed through any security checks that may be required.
- Board the ship and locate your cabin.
- Attend any mandatory safety briefings or other onboard orientation sessions.
- Begin your adventure with Hurtigruten!
It’s always a good idea to arrive early to allow for any unforeseen delays or issues, and to ensure a smooth boarding experience. If you have any questions or concerns, don’t hesitate to ask the Hurtigruten staff for assistance.
The MS Nordnorge
The MS Nordnorge is one of the ships operated by Hurtigruten, and it is a part of the company’s fleet of 11 vessels that travel along the Norwegian coast. The ship was built in 1997 and was extensively refurbished in 2016, with updates to its cabins, public areas, and onboard technology.
The MS Nordnorge is designed to provide passengers with a comfortable and immersive experience of the Norwegian coast, with large windows in the cabins and public areas to take in the stunning views. The ship can accommodate up to 590 passengers in a range of cabin categories, from cozy inside cabins to spacious suites with private balconies.
Onboard amenities include multiple dining options, a lounge and bar, a library, and a panoramic deck for taking in the scenery. The ship also has a range of expedition equipment, such as kayaks and hiking gear, for use during shore excursions and activities.
As with all of Hurtigruten’s ships, the MS Nordnorge is committed to sustainable travel and has implemented a range of measures to reduce its environmental impact. These include using low-emission fuel, reducing single-use plastics, and implementing waste management practices to minimize the ship’s ecological footprint.
Hurtigruten offers a range of cabin categories to suit different preferences and budgets on their coastal voyages and expedition cruises. Here’s an overview of the cabin categories you may find on a Hurtigruten ship:
- Inside Cabins: These cabins are located on the lower decks of the ship and have no windows, but are well-appointed with comfortable furnishings.
- Ocean View Cabins: These cabins have a window or porthole that allows passengers to take in the scenic views. Some ocean view cabins also have a seating area.
- Balcony Cabins: These cabins feature a private balcony with outdoor seating, allowing passengers to enjoy the fresh air and views in a more private setting.
- Suites: Hurtigruten’s suites offer more space and luxury than other cabin categories. Suites often include a separate sitting area, large windows or a private balcony, and other amenities like a coffee machine, bathrobe and slippers, and complimentary wine.
Regardless of the cabin category, all cabins on Hurtigruten ships are designed with comfort and convenience in mind, and feature en suite bathrooms, storage space, and modern amenities like Wi-Fi and flat-screen TVs. Additionally, all cabins on Hurtigruten ships are cleaned daily to ensure that passengers enjoy a comfortable and hygienic environment throughout their journey.
Meals on our Hurtigruten Ship
Hurtigruten offers a variety of dining options on their ships, from casual buffets to more formal a la carte restaurants, and the specific options may vary depending on the ship and itinerary. Here’s an overview of the dining options you may find on a Hurtigruten ship:
- Main Dining Room: This is the ship’s main restaurant, offering breakfast, lunch, and dinner with a changing menu that features fresh, locally sourced ingredients. The main dining room often has assigned seating and offers a more formal dining experience.
- Buffet Restaurant: This is a more casual dining option, offering a range of hot and cold dishes for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. The buffet restaurant may also feature live cooking stations where passengers can watch their meals being prepared.
- A la carte Restaurant: Some Hurtigruten ships have a more formal a la carte restaurant that offers a gourmet dining experience, often with a focus on regional cuisine.
- Cafe: Hurtigruten ships often have a cafe or bar that serves light snacks and beverages throughout the day.
- Room Service: Some cabin categories may offer room service, allowing passengers to enjoy meals in the comfort of their own cabin.
Hurtigruten also offers special dining events, such as a seafood buffet or a gala dinner, during certain parts of the itinerary. If you have any dietary restrictions or preferences, Hurtigruten can accommodate most requests with advance notice.
Environmental sustainability is a key priority for Hurtigruten, and the company has implemented a number of measures to reduce the environmental impact of its operations. Here are some of the initiatives that Hurtigruten has undertaken to promote sustainability:
- Reduced Emissions: Hurtigruten committed to reducing the emissions from its ships, and invested in technologies like hybrid and electric propulsion to achieve this goal. The company’s newest ships also equipped with advanced exhaust gas cleaning systems to reduce air pollution.
- Waste Reduction: Hurtigruten has implemented a range of waste management practices to reduce the amount of waste generated onboard. This includes reducing single-use plastics and implementing recycling programs for materials like paper, glass, and aluminum.
- Sustainable Food: Hurtigruten committed to serving sustainably sourced and locally produced food onboard its ships. The company has implemented a policy of only serving seafood that meets strict sustainability criteria. Also sources meat, dairy, and produce from local farms and suppliers.
- Shore Power: Hurtigruten has made significant investments in shore power infrastructure. Allowing its ships to connect to land-based power sources while in port. This reduces emissions and noise pollution from onboard generators.
- Education and Outreach: Hurtigruten aims to educate its passengers and crew about environmental issues and encourage sustainable behavior. The company offers lectures and workshops on sustainability topics. Also partners with local organizations to support environmental initiatives in the communities it visits.
These are just a few examples of the environmental initiatives that Hurtigruten has undertaken. The company continues to explore new ways to promote sustainability in its operations.
Public Spaces on Hurtigruten Ships
Hurtigruten ships offer a variety of public spaces for passengers to enjoy during their voyage. Here are some of the common areas you may find on a Hurtigruten ship:
- Observation Decks: Hurtigruten’s ships have multiple outdoor observation decks, allowing passengers to take in the stunning coastal scenery and natural beauty along the route. The decks often feature comfortable seating and offer unobstructed views of the landscape.
- Lounges and Bars: Hurtigruten ships feature several lounges and bars, offering a comfortable space to relax and socialize with other passengers. These areas often have large windows, comfortable seating, and a range of beverages and snacks.
- Libraries: Some Hurtigruten ships have a library or reading room, offering a quiet space to read, relax, or play board games.
- Fitness Centers: Hurtigruten ships often have a fitness center or gym, equipped with cardio and strength-training equipment, free weights, and yoga mats.
- Sauna and Hot Tubs: Some Hurtigruten ships have a sauna and hot tubs, offering a relaxing and rejuvenating experience.
- Expedition Center: Hurtigruten’s expedition cruises often have an Expedition Center, where passengers can learn more about the itinerary and the destinations they will be visiting. The Expedition Center may also have equipment for outdoor activities like kayaking or hiking.
These are just some of the public spaces you may find on a Hurtigruten ship. The specific offerings may vary depending on the ship and itinerary.
Hurtigruten Routes and Ports
Hurtigruten operates along the west coast of Norway, traveling between the cities of Bergen in the south and Kirkenes in the far north, near the Russian border. The company’s ships make regular stops at a number of ports along the way. Allowing passengers to explore the local culture and landscapes. Here are some of the ports that Hurtigruten stops at:
- Bergen: Hurtigruten’s southern terminus is in Bergen, a picturesque city known for its historic harbor and colorful wooden buildings.
- Alesund: Alesund a coastal city known for its Art Nouveau architecture and proximity to fjords and mountains.
- Trondheim: Trondheim a historic city known for its medieval architecture and the Nidaros Cathedral.
- Tromso: Tromso is a vibrant city located in the Arctic, known for its Northern Lights and polar history.
- Kirkenes: Hurtigruten’s northern terminus is in Kirkenes, a small town located near the Russian border and the Barents Sea.
- Geirangerfjord: Hurtigruten also offers cruises through the stunning Geirangerfjord, a UNESCO World Heritage site known for its waterfalls, cliffs, and pristine natural beauty.
In addition to these ports, Hurtigruten’s ships make dozens of stops at other small towns and villages along the coast, providing passengers with a unique opportunity to experience the local culture and way of life.
The prices for Hurtigruten cruises can vary depending on a number of factors, including the length of the cruise, the time of year, the type of cabin, and the itinerary. Here are some general guidelines to keep in mind:
- Season: Prices for Hurtigruten cruises tend to be highest during the summer months (June to August), when the weather is warm and the days are long. Prices are generally lower during the winter months (November to March). When the weather is colder and there are fewer daylight hours.
- Cabin Type: Hurtigruten offers a range of cabin types, from simple and affordable inside cabins to spacious and luxurious suites with balconies. The price for each cabin will vary depending on the size, amenities, and location on the ship.
- Itinerary: The price for a Hurtigruten cruise will also depend on the specific itinerary and ports of call. Longer cruises that visit more ports tend to be more expensive than shorter cruises that only visit a few ports.
- Inclusions: Hurtigruten offers a range of inclusions depending on the package you choose. Some packages may include flights, transfers, excursions, or meals, while others may be more basic.
As a general guide, prices for a Hurtigruten cruise can range from a few hundred to several thousand euros per person, depending on the factors mentioned above. It’s best to check the Hurtigruten website or contact a travel agent for specific pricing information for the cruise you interested in.
Advice for Booking a Hurtigruten Cruise
Here are some tips for booking a Hurtigruten cruise:
- Research: Take the time to research the different itineraries, ships, and cabin types that Hurtigruten offers. This will help you find the cruise that best suits your interests and budget.
- Book early: Hurtigruten cruises can fill up quickly, especially during peak season. So it’s a good idea to book your cruise as early as possible to ensure availability and potentially take advantage of early booking discounts.
- Consider the season: The time of year you choose to travel can have a big impact on your experience and the price of your cruise. The summer months are generally the most popular and expensive. While the winter months offer unique opportunities to see the Northern Lights and experience the beauty of Norway in the snow.
- Choose the right cabin: The cabin you choose can have a big impact on your experience. So be sure to choose one that meets your needs and budget. If you plan to spend a lot of time in your cabin. A larger and more comfortable cabin might worth the extra cost. If you plan to spend most of your time exploring the ship and the ports of call, a simpler cabin might be more appropriate.
- Check for promotions and discounts: Hurtigruten often runs promotions and discounts, especially for early booking or last-minute bookings. Check the Hurtigruten website or contact a travel agent to see if there are any current promotions that apply to your booking.
- Consider a package: Hurtigruten offers a range of packages that can include flights, transfers, excursions, or meals. These packages can be a good value and can save you time and hassle by bundling everything together.
- Read reviews: Reading reviews from other passengers can give you a good sense of what to expect on your cruise and help you make informed decisions about your booking. You can find reviews on the Hurtigruten website or on third-party review sites.
The Final Verdict
Hurtigruten offers a unique and unforgettable experience for travelers. Who want to explore the natural beauty and culture of Norway’s western coast. With a range of itineraries, ships, and cabin types, Hurtigruten caters to a variety of interests and budgets. Making it a great option for solo travelers, couples, families, and groups.
The ships offer comfortable and modern accommodations, excellent dining options, and a variety of public spaces for relaxation and entertainment. Additionally, Hurtigruten has a strong commitment to sustainability and responsible tourism. Making it a good choice for travelers who are environmentally conscious.
Overall, if you’re looking for a cruise that offers stunning natural scenery, cultural experiences, and a touch of adventure, Hurtigruten is a great option to consider.